Friday, April 3, 2009

I Think I'm In Shock!!!


Seriously, I don't understand what happened. Was the back injury a hallucination of my sleep deprived mind? Honestly, I didn't do very much this week. I cried, moaned, and pouted! But the one thing I did not do was turn to Otis Spunkmeyer and Ben and Jerry to comfort me because I was bummed over hurting my back. Could that be a reason why I managed to maintain my weight loss and actually lose FOUR pounds!!! Is just seems weird, and not the good kind of weird, but creepy weird. Hmmm...

So let me back up and tell you what happened after I found out about my back on Tuesday. Well, I wasn't happy with hearing that I had sprained my back again. And since the initial doctor just gave me one of those bullshit generic answers of "you need to lose weight". I decided to go to another doctor for a second opinion. Seriously, why would you tell someone who is actively losing weight to lose weight. That tells me you're either not listening or you're not paying attention. So I saw another doctor on Wednesday. But here's the creepy weird thing, my back pain had gone down a lot. Whereas the days before I felt like I could barely move, but on Tuesday as I started to get more active, the pain started to lessen. And when I woke up on Wednesday it had gone down considerably where I was able to jog for 15 minutes. So, okay now back to the doctor. This doctor was more in tune with me and while she didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she didn't tell me no half ass answer either.

She explained that yes I had sprained my back and yes I should continue to lose weight, but I also needed to learn healthy back management. She encouraged me to continue tightening up my core, but to also relearn how to sit, stand, sleep, walk,etc. She said proper posture is the key. If I'm slouching or slumped over then my back is out of alignment and eventually that'll cause wear and tear. And since I had a previous back injury, I needed to be more cautious. She also said that other doctor was wrong to tell me to take it easy for a few weeks because the longer I stayed stationary, the longer it would take my back to heal. She said I should keep my routine, but modify it. So that I'm no longer doing high intense cardio daily, but every other day or so. And to get back into yoga.

So here I am. Now doing yoga with a modified cardio routine. I've also picked up running. I'm doing the Couch to 5K program. I'm just so happy that I decided to seek a second opinion and coming out of my slump. As soon as I got home on Wednesday, I took my middle son and youngest to the park and ran around and played with them for my cardio workout. And I also did an hour workout yesterday. The days before when my back was really hurting, I just did some brisk walking.

But still I am baffled! I was totally expecting to gain weight, especially since I indulged myself on Thursday for my birthday. But goodness, to lose four pounds! I've stood on the scale several times this morning. It really is just quite shocking. And, it's quite annoying that the stupid picture comes in rotated wrong!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Way to go on the 4 pounds. That's awesome!! I do Wii Fit and it is mainly working on Core and Strength and Yoga with a little cardio in there. I am glad your back is feeling better and you found a doctor you are more in tune with.